The District Governing Board’s policy requires that all students be on time and in school everyday unless they are:
STATE LAW PERMITS
- Have a medical (doctor, dentist, etc.) appointment
- Attending a funeral of an immediate family member.
STATE LAW DOES NOT PERMIT
- Family outings and trips.
STATE LAW REQUIRES THE FOLLOWING WHEN A CHILD IS ABSENT
- Reason for absence.
- Date(s) of absence.
- Detailed description if due to illness.
METHODS OF NOTIFICATION – WRITTEN & PHONE
- Written – please send a note with your child with the above information upon their return to school.
- Phone – please call 568-1741 to notify when and why your child is absent.
Students shall maintain a minimum of 90% attendance (18 days absent) to be considered for promotion to the next higher grade level, unless there is a valid medical reason, provided by a doctor.
Please note: After three (3) unexcused absences and/or tardies a student will be considered truant.
After 3 Unexcused Absences
- A letter will be sent home notifying the parent/guardian of the severity of the problem.
After 5 Unexcused Absences
- A second letter requesting a hearing with the SARB Board will be sent. At this time the parent/guardian and the SARB Board will determine if a contract shall be required.
After 7 Unexcused Absences
- A third letter declaring the child habitually truant will be sent. The SARB Board will be notified that the child continues to have a problem with attendance. At this time the Board may refer the case on to the District Attorney’s Office.
- If a student is going to be absent from school for more than 5 consecutive days, contact the attendance office to see if Independent Study is available.
Other Attendance Information
- Picking up a student early for an invalid reason, can be considered as truant by the School Attendance Review Board.
- We cannot release a student to anyone who is not listed on the contact card without parent/guardian prior permission.