Welcome to Sunnyside School
Sunnyside Union Elementary School is a rural single school (K-8) district. Sunnyside is located five miles north of Porterville and approximately 2 miles east of Strathmore in Tulare County. The school is surrounded by orange and olive groves.
Sunnyside School has an enrollment of approximately 355 students in grades Kindergarten through eighth. Our staff is dedicated to providing the very best educational experience possible for your child. They are committed to meeting the individual needs of each student enrolled here at Sunnyside School.
Our staff works hard to ensure your child a quality education. However, your help is needed too. Your involvement can include volunteering in the classroom, chaperoning field trips, becoming an active member of one of our school committees, making sure your child’s homework is done, and making sure your child is here at school each day. Staying in close contact with your child’s teacher will help insure a great year for your child. Contact the office, or the teacher, if you have time and energy to help. We are looking forward to working with you and will actively seek your input and support.
Some things about Sunnyside:
- Sunnyside School participates in the class size reduction program in Kindergarten through the Third grade.
- Grades 6-8 are Departmentalized by Subject
- Sunnyside maintains a Tulare County Office of Education After School CHOICES program all 180 school days.
- Sunnyside provides a part-time music/band instructor (including Marching Band).
- Sunnyside participates in the Tulare County Rural School Athletic League.
- Sunnyside graduates approximately 40 students each year. Most of the graduates attend Strathmore High School or the new Harmony Magnet School (Engineering & Performing Arts located in Strathmore). Both schools are part of the Porterville Unified School District.
- Sunnyside maintains small class sizes across all grade levels (Average 20-22)
- Sunnyside contracts through the Tulare County Office of Education for a full time Resource Teacher, two day a week nurse, one day a week psychologist.
- Sunnyside contracts with other Small School Districts for an additional Psychology Day & for a Part-Time (40%) Band Instructor
- Sunnyside implements a State Preschool
- Sunnyside is a partner with Save the Children - Early Steps to Success
- Maintains a small school environment with traditions (Flower Show, Talent Show, Fall Carnival, 8th Grade Tea, Etc.)
- Sunnyside Migrant students are serviced by Migrant Region VIII
Sunnyside is a rural, agricultural district. The community, which Sunnyside serves is diverse culturally, economically, and educationally. This diversity is reflected in the school.
Come by for a visit and see what makes Sunnyside Union Elementary School a school for the community!
Sunnyside's Mission Statement: The mission of Sunnyside Union Elementary is to provide an environment that allows all students to grow academically and socially. This will be a result of providing students with opportunities to succeed as lifelong learners through challenging and engaging activities. All students will be owners of their learning through creative and confident actions. All members of the learning community will commit to working together to prepare our students to be successful 21st-century citizens.